- Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly
- and live a life of love, just as Christ
loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to
- But among you there must not be even a hint
of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these
are improper for God's holy people.
- Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk
or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving.
- For of this you can be sure: No immoral,
impure or greedy person -- such a man is an idolater--has any inheritance in
the kingdom of Christ and of God.
- Let no one deceive you with empty words,
for because of such things God's wrath comes on those who are disobedient.
- Therefore do not be partners with them.
- For you were once darkness, but now you are
light in the Lord. Live as children of light
- (for the fruit of the light consists in all
goodness, righteousness and truth)
- and find out what pleases the Lord.
- Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds
of darkness, but rather expose them.
- For it is shameful even to mention what the
disobedient do in secret.
- But everything exposed by the light becomes
- for it is light that makes everything
visible. This is why it is said: "Wake up, O sleeper, rise from the dead, and
Christ will shine on you."
- Be very careful, then, how you live--not as
unwise but as wise,
- making the most of every opportunity,
because the days are evil.
- Therefore do not be foolish, but understand
what the Lord's will is.
- Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to
debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit.
- Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and
spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord,
- always giving thanks to God the Father for
everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
- Submit to one another out of reverence for
- Wives, submit to your husbands as to the
- For the husband is the head of the wife as
Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior.
- Now as the church submits to Christ, so
also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.
- Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ
loved the church and gave himself up for her
- to make her holy, cleansing her by the
washing with water through the word,
- and to present her to himself as a radiant
church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless.
- In this same way, husbands ought to love
their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself.
- After all, no one ever hated his own body,
but he feeds and cares for it, just as Christ does the church --
- for we are members of his body.
- "For this reason a man will leave his
father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one
- This is a profound mystery--but I am
talking about Christ and the church.
- However, each one of you also must love his
wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.